News Flash Home
The original item was published from 7/16/2019 4:40:00 PM to 8/17/2019 12:00:05 AM.

News Flash

Front Page News

Posted on: July 16, 2019





CHICOPEE - The City of Chicopee’s ordinances are laws specific to the City adopted by the City Council. The directives touch on a wide range of matters concerning the health, safety, and general welfare of the City - from fire prevention and security, to the care and control of peoples’ property.

“We hope sharing this information leads to better neighbors and better neighborhoods. Our goal is to curb repeat offenders and reduce the likelihood of future violations, which reduces the burden on city enforcement,” said Mayor Richard J. Kos. “Most people want to be good neighbors and are cooperative once an issue is brought to their attention.”

The appropriate City Department staff may be consulted regarding the type of violation, interpretation, and enforcement. Ordinance enforcement works in partnership with citizens to ensure, improve, and maintain safe and desirable Chicopee neighborhoods. If it is believed that there is a violation near a home or business, it should be reported to the appropriate department listed below.

Building Department – 413-594-3557 Ext. 318

• Violation examples: building construction, building license/permit, construction noise, abandoned/unregistered vehicle, vacant property, damaged electrical boxes, tag/yard sales, zoning, etc.

Department of Public Works – 413-594-3557 Ext. 304

• Violation examples: snow/ice removal, park and recreation commission, cemetery commission, recycling, dumping of trash/waste containers/bulk items, graffiti, irrigation systems in the right-of-way without a permit, etc.

Fire Department – 413-594-1637

• Violation examples: blocked means of egress, removal of smoke detectors, improper storage of flammable liquids, fire pits, fire hydrant issues, etc.

Golf/Chicopee Country Club – 413-594-9295

• Violation examples: Noise, public nuisance, littering, etc.

Health Department – 413-594-3557, Ext. 337

• Violation examples: unregistered vehicles, unlicensed livestock, overgrowth, litter private/public, un-shoveled snow, clothing collection boxes, closed refrigerator, sanitation, food establishment health and sanitary violations, trash receptacles, etc. 

Police Department – 413-594-1723

• Violation examples: parking/traffic issues, open container, abandoned/unregistered vehicle, dogs, littering, noise (aka. disturbing the peace), defacing public property, broken glass, bicycle, etc. For Animal Control – Thomas J. O’Connor Animal Control - 413-781-1484 

Water Pollution Department – 413-594-3585

• Violation examples: littering or dumping of any oil, grease, or chemical in any waterway (Ex. River, lake, groundwater, storm drain, etc.).

Submit helpful service requests on website or smartphone app:

Once a complaint is received, several different actions can occur. When an enforcement procedure is initiated, which may include but is not limited to voluntary compliance, swift compliance, partial compliance, non-compliance, and sometimes “no violation found.”  Research is conducted to determine existing approvals and conditions.

Most cases warrant inspections, scheduled with the responsible party. If an examination reveals violations, the appropriate remedy will be determined. Remediation may include the issuance of a citation or notice. In most cases, the person responsible for a violation is allowed to comply and correct the situation voluntarily.

Once the deadline in the notice has expired, the owner or responsible person may be subject to one or more of the actions below.

•    Abatement - The City may direct a third party to demolish, secure, or remove junk and debris. The City will recover costs.

•    Civil Penalties - May be assessed up to a maximum daily amount and up to a total maximum amount (amounts are dependent on violation type).

•    Judicial Remedies - The City Attorney can file criminal or civil cases against the responsible party or parties.

Reporting persons will be asked if they have contacted the responsible party. Please note that complainant information is kept confidential; however, in rare instances, the City may be required to reveal this information in a judicial proceeding.


Facebook Twitter Email