The first month of Chicopee’s new Trash Reduction program is in the books. The City would like to thank its residents for their great job and compliance with the new program.
Beginning Monday June 5th, the ‘grace period’ is over and the DPW will no longer pick up trash that is non-compliant. Trash that is non-compliant will be left, and a sticker will be placed on trash or recycling containers explaining why the trash was not collected. (Please see the attached non-compliance stickers). You do NOT want to receive a sticker for non-compliance. As a reminder, bulk waste is not collected at curbside but needs to be brought to the dump directly. Please contact the DPW before you throw away anything in question.
Non-compliant trash will not be collected for the following reasons:
- The 35-gallon toter is not used.
- The trash exceeds the volume limit of one 35-gallon toter (lid does not close).
- Excess trash is not in yellow Chicopee overflow bags.
- Bulky waste was put out for curbside pick-up.
NOTE: Yellow Chicopee Overflow bags may be placed in a separate trash barrel to protect from animals or weather.
Non-compliant recycling will not be collected for the following reasons:
- Recyclables are in plastic bags.
- Recyclables are contaminated with trash
- Recyclables are not cleaned and free of food contamination.
- Recycling contains materials that are not accepted in the recycling program. A list of accepted materials can be found at http://chicopeema.gov/222/Curbside-Recyclable-Items.
NOTE: An additional barrel or cardboard box containing ONLY recycling items may be placed out for collection. Please mark the barrel “RECYCLING”. Cardboard may be folded and placed next to the green recycling toter to allow for more room inside the cart.
Remember, bulky waste is not collected at curbside. It must be delivered to the Chicopee Sanitary Landfill on 161 New Lombard Road Tuesday through Saturday with a permit.
For more information or if you have any questions regarding the new trash reduction program, accepted recycling materials, or to obtain a landfill permit for bulky waste, please contact the Chicopee DPW at 413-594-3566.