Parks COVID-19 Update
UPDATED June 10, 2020
OPEE Update (2020 Summer)
Today we have made the difficult decision not to hold OPEE Summer Adventures this year. This decision was made solely to protect the health and safety of campers, their families, and both the Recreation and School staff.
Since March, we have been working closely with the Chicopee Health Department, Mayor Vieau’s Office, and the Chicopee Police Department to review guidelines from the CDC and Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Recently, the Department of Early Education and Care released minimum health and safety guidelines for recreational camps and programs.
We have reviewed these guidelines, discussed every scenario and explored every option to hold OPEE this summer. Unfortunately, we feel that we cannot safely operate OPEE this summer.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we continue to work to understand and navigate the challenges the COVID-19 pandemic has presented all of us.
We are working to offer smaller recreational programs this summer and will release more information as it becomes available.
For information on summer programs, please visit our website at www.chicopeerec.com. If you have any questions, please contact the Parks & Recreation Department at (413) 594-3481.
Park Re-Opening Update
The Chicopee Parks & Recreation Department has been working very closely with Mayor John Vieau’s Office, Health Department, Maintenance Department, DPW, and the Chicopee Police Department during these difficult times.
While we encourage people to get out and take advantage of Chicopee’s parks and open recreational spaces, we urge you to follow the CDC’s precautionary guidelines to help keep our parks open. The Chicopee Parks & Recreation Department has made the following changes to our park usage policies:
- Park users should maintain proper social and physical distancing at all times in all areas of our parks.
- Group Size: No groups larger than 10 are allowed to gather.
- Face Coverings and Masks: All visitors to parks and open space, as well as those participating in outdoor education programs should comply with COVID-19 Order 31: Order Requiring Face Coverings in Public Places Where Social Distancing is Not Possible. The order requires any person over the age of 2, whether indoors or outdoors, to wear a face covering or mask when they cannot maintain 6 feet of distance between themselves and others, unless they have a medical condition preventing them from doing so.
- All playgrounds, athletic fields, tennis/volleyball courts, and skate parks are OPEN. Users are not allowed to have pick-up games, organized games, or tournaments and should not play in groups larger than 10. Do not share equipment and use at your own risk.
- Please stay home if you are sick.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after visiting parks.
The Chicopee Parks and Recreation Department has made the following changes to our program offerings:
- Aldenville Summer Concert series schedule is being revised.
- Summer Drive-In Movie Night on Friday, July 31st (raindate Sunday, August 2nd) at Chicopee High School. More information to come!
- Lincoln Grove Community Garden is open
- Please follow the posted guidelines.
- Plots are available
We encourage residents to visit our new website at www.chicopeerec.com and register for upcoming programs! You can follow us on Facebook @chicopeeparksdept or Twitter @ChicopeeParks to stay up to date on all of our Chicopee Parks and Recreation news!
The Chicopee Parks and Recreation Office is open to the public by appointment only. Please call us at (413) 594-3481 with any questions or for refunds.