OPEE Summer Adventures
OPEE Summer Adventures
2020 OPEE Update (as of June 9th):
CHICOPEE – The City of Chicopee Parks & Recreation Department has made the difficult decision to cancel OPEE Summer Adventures for the summer of 2020.
Since March, the Chicopee Parks & Recreation Department has been working closely with the Chicopee Health Department, Mayor’s Office, and Police Department to review guidelines from the CDC and Commonwealth of Massachusetts. After receiving guidelines for summer day camps, the decision to cancel OPEE was made to protect the health and safety of campers, their families, and the both the Recreation and School staff.
“The decision to cancel OPEE was a very difficult one for us to make,” said Superintendent Ben Strepka. “We have spent countless hours discussing every scenario and exploring every option to safely hold OPEE this summer. After reviewing the recent state guidelines for summer day camps and programs with the Health Department, we felt that we could not meet these requirements to operate this summer.”
“The safety of our community remains our priority, this difficult decision is what we believe is necessary in order to protect our residents,” says Lisa Sanders, Director of the Chicopee Health Department. “We encourage our residents to do their part to stop the spread of the coronavirus.”
“It is the best decision for the safety of our residents,” Mayor John Vieau said. “We know our OPEE Summer Adventure is important to our younger residents and their families. However, running a summer camp with a great number of children could endanger the health and safety of not only our kids, but their families and the park staff.”
The Chicopee Parks & Recreation Department is currently working on offering smaller recreational programs this summer and will release more information as it becomes available.
For information on summer programs, please visit our website at www.chicopeerec.com. If you have any questions, please contact the Parks & Recreation Department at (413) 594-3481.
The following is under construction:
Sign up information:
Brochures and all forms will be readily available at sign ups. Parent/guardians at sign up must pay at least 50% of all fees that day by cash or check made payable to the City of Chicopee. Please put a phone number on the check and OPEE in the memo portion.
The provided health forms, or one similar to those from a doctor, MUST be turned in as soon as possible and must cover the entire time a child is at the program. Without one, a child is not permissible to go to OPEE.
OPEE Summer Adventures 2021 will run from ___________, and is a very popular summer day program which operates for 7 sessions (Monday-Friday) for boys and girls ages 5-13. Five-year-olds must have completed kindergarten. The program is held at Fairview Memorial Elementary School. Daily activities include (to name a few):
- Arts and crafts
- Program-wide activities
- Field trips
- Organized games and sports
- Spray Park and playgrounds
Hours of Operation
OPEE Daily Hours:
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Pre-Program Hours: 7:30 - 8:30 AM
Post-Program Hours: 4:30 - 5:30 PM
OPEE Session Dates
Session 1 June 29-July 2 (no program July 3)
Session 2 July 6-10
Session 3 July 13-17
Session 4 July 20-24
Session 5 July 27-31
Session 6 Aug 3-7
Session 7 Aug 10-14
OPEE Summer Adventures Fees
Fees cover all the activities, a T-Shirt, a daily lunch and snack, arts & crafts, spray pool, trips to swimming pools, special programming, and field trips are all included.
One program T-shirt will be given out this year and it must be worn on field trip days. They must be picked up by a parent or guardian at the 687 Front St. office prior to the beginning of the first session.
Resident Fees ~ 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Session 2-7 $175/child/session/1st child
Session 1 (four days) $140
Non-Resident Fees ~ 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Session 2-7 $225/child/session
Session 1 (four days) $180
Pre and Post Program Fees
Each Session: $20 per child (pre register at signup or at Parks Department)
$5 daily fee on site registration (fee given at pre/post table)
Late Pick up fees: A $5 late fee will be applied and charged if a child
is not picked up at the expected time.
* Children who aren't fully paid can not be sent early to Fairview or stay late without payment the morning of. There are no exceptions *
Leaders in Training (LIT's)
OPEE's LIT program is geared towards young adults who are eager to learn, develop, and enhance their leadership skills and qualities to become future staff members. Applicants must be at least 15 year of age as of 6/1/2020 to be considered.
Based on the number of applicants for the summer and open space needed, not all weeks signed up for will be granted. Each applicant will go through an interview process. All information at that time will be sent out in early/mid June. A pre program orientation is also mandatory and will be held June 25 at Fairview from times TBA.
Sessions 2-7 $100 per session
Session 1 $80 per session
OPEE Adventures is held at the Fairview Veterans Memorial Elementary School which is located off Britton and Montcalm streets in the Fairview section of Chicopee. The school is utilized as our indoor facility with a:
- Kitchen/food storage facilities
- Large cafeteria
- Music/drama stage
- Art room
- Ball fields
- Full spray park for water enjoyment
- Large play field for group activities
- Two Playground areas
- Tennis courts
Change of Location
On August 13 and 14 the program will be held at Bellamy Middle School from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Pre program is available both days, but post is not. These 2 days will be utilized for preparation of the very popular final show, which is held on Friday starting at 12:30 PM.
The OPEE Adventures staff consists of skilled and personable leaders of proven talent who will bring out the best qualities of our participants. Our staff consists of:
- A Recreation Supervisor
- A Director
- 2 Assistant Directors
- Senior and Junior Counselors
- Sports and Arts and Crafts Specialists
- Numerous Leaders in Training (LIT)
There are numerous activities and suitable recreation programs that will promote a well-rounded environment to match and enhance participant's abilities and interests as well as introduce them to new and enjoyable experiences and fun! The creative arts portion of the participant's weekly activity schedule includes:
- Arts and crafts
OPEE Field Trips
-Participants MUST wear their OPEE T-Shirt on these days
Session 1: Nomad's Adventure Quest (July 2)
Session 2: Breezy Waterslides (July 9)
Session 3: Sonny's Place (July 16)
Session 4: Hartford Yard Goats Baseball Game (July 22)
Session 5: Bousquet Water Park Ages 5-9 (July 30)
Quassy Amusement Park Ages 10-13 (July 30)
Session 6: Connecticut Science Center (August 6)
Session 7: Interskate 91 (August 11)
Session 1: Yo Yo Man (June 30)
Session 2: T-Bone (July 7)
Session 3: Chicopee Police K-9 Demo (July 14)
Session 4: Hip Hop Dance Party (July 21)
Session 5: Creature Teachers (July 28)
Session 6: ScienceTellers (August 4)
Session 7: LInda Peck "Zany Acts" (August 10)
All entertainers/performers are free to the general public and are held Tuesday mornings (with the exception of session 7 being held on a Monday) at 10:00 AM either inside the all-purpose room at the school, the gymnasium, or outside near the spray park.
- All program registrations are done in person on a first-come, first paid basis. No mail/phone in registrations will be accepted.
- If paying by check, all checks must be made to the order of the CITY OF CHICOPEE with a telephone # on the check & OPEE Summer Adventures listed in the memo.
All returned checks will be assessed a $25 service fee
- A 50% deposit of the total balance is due at the time of registration. All sessions must be PAID IN FULL by Friday, May 22. Failure to pay in full by this date may result in the application being removed from the program.
*New Signups from May 26 on must be paid in full at the time of sign up*
- Once the program begins and a cancellation occurs due to sickness/injury (with doctors note) a full refund will be submitted. All other cancellations from Friday, May 8 and on, other than illness/sickness will result, in a $25 cancellation fee (per session).
Important Parent Information
- In addition to filling out the 2020 registration form at the office, and OPEE enrollment forms, parents are required to turn in a completed Chicopee Parks Dept. medical or similar doctor's form prior to the child's starting of the program.
-Children CAN'T attend the program without these forms or without full payment
- Falsification of information (i.e age/date of birth, residency) on the registration form will result in immediate dismissal from the program.
- Groups during the summer are formed by age. If you have any requests it MUST be noted on the child's registration form. Please note that these are requests and all of them may not be fulfilled based on our numbers. No changes will be made to groups during the summer. No requests for children that are not of the same age.
- If an emergency arises and you need to contact your child during the program's hours, please contact the Parks Dept. at 594-3481 and we will relay any messages.
- Participants must wear sneakers and socks daily. All children will receive an OPEE T-Shirt which must be worn on the day of field trips. Each child should also bring the following with them to the program: swimsuit, towel, hat, sunscreen and sweater/jacket on appropriate days. Please label all belongings!
6. Lunches, beverages, and snacks will be provided on a daily basis. Refrigeration
facilities are available for those children who prefer to bring their own lunch and/or
7. Please ensure that your child does not bring valuables to the program i.e toys,
money, radios, cell phones, game systems or other personal items. These items if
seen will be taken and handed back at the end of the day.
8. Pictures or videos taken while at OPEE Summer Adventures may be used for
future brochures, slide shows, and/or newspaper publicity unless advised otherwise.
For further information on the program please contact Dan Woodill,
Recreation Supervisor, at 594-3481, extension 105.