OPEE Summer Adventures
Sign up day (Chicopee Residents Only) Saturday, April 8, 2017 at Dupont Middle School starting at 10:00 AM.
Sign up day (Non Residents/LIT's) Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at the Chicopee Parks Department Office starting at 9:00 AM.
All medical information, payment, and forms must be turned in before your child comes to the program.
OPEE Summer Adventures 2017 runs from July 3 - August 11 and is a very popular summer day program which operates for 6 sessions (Monday-Friday) for boys and girls ages 5-13. Five-year-olds must have completed kindergarten. The program is held at Fairview Memorial Elementary School. Daily activities include (to name a few):
- Arts and crafts
- Camp-wide activities
- Field trips
- Organized games and sports
- Spray Parks and playgrounds
Hours of Operation
OPEE Daily Hours:
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Pre-Program Hours: 7:30 - 8:30 a.m.
Post-Program Hours: 4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
OPEE Summer Adventures Fees
Fees cover all the activities, a T-Shirt, a daily lunch and snack, arts & crafts, spray pool, trips to swimming pools, special programming, and field trips are all included.
One program T-shirt will be given out this year and it must be worn on field trip days. They must be picked up by a parent or guardian at the 687 Front St. office prior to sessions they are attending.
Resident Fees ~ 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Session 2-6 $140/child/session/1st child
Session 1 (four days) $112
Non-Resident Fees ~ 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Session 2-6 $185/child/session
Session 1 (four days) $148
Pre and Post Program Fees
Each Session: $20 per child (pre register at signup or at Parks Department)
$5 daily fee on site registration (fee given at pre/post table)
Late Pick up fees: A $5 late fee will be applied and charged if a child
is not picked up at the expected time.
* Children who aren't fully paid can not be sent early to camp or stay late without payment the morning of. There are no exceptions *
Leaders in Training (LIT's)
OPEE's LIT program is geared towards 14-16 year olds who are eager to learn, develop, and enhance their leadership skills and qualities to become future staff members. Applicants must be ages 14-16 by June 1, 2017 to be considered.
Based on the number of applicants for the summer and open space needed, not all weeks signed up for will be granted. Each applicant will go through an interview process, and later will be chosen. All information at that time will be sent out in early/mid June.
Sessions 2-6 $100 per session
Session 1 $80 per session
Applications/registrations for LIT's is Wednesday, April 12, 9:00 AM at the Parks Department.
OPEE Adventures is held at the Fairview Veterans Memorial Middle School which is located off Britton and Montcalm streets in the Fairview section of Chicopee. The school is utilized as our indoor facility with a:
- Kitchen/food storage facilities
- Large cafeteria
- Music/drama stage
- Ball fields
- Full spray pool for water enjoyment
- Large playfield for group activities
- Playground area
- Tennis courts
Change of Location
On August 10 and 11, the program will be held at Bellamy Middle School from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Pre program is available both days, but post is not. These 2 days will be utilized for preparation of the final show, which is held on Friday. Time is to be announced.
The OPEE Adventures staff consists of skilled and personable leaders of proven talent who will bring out the best qualities of our participants. Our staff consists of:
- A recreation supervisor
- A director
- 2 assistant directors
- Senior and junior counselors
- Sports and arts and crafts specialists
- Numerous Leaders in Training (LITs)
There are numerous activities and suitable recreation programs that will promote a well-rounded environment to match and enhance participant's abilities and interests as well as introduce them to new and enjoyable experiences and fun! The creative arts portion of the participant's weekly activity schedule includes:
- Arts and crafts
OPEE Session Dates & Field Trips
**Sponsored by the Chicopee Cultural Council
All entertainers/performers are free to the general public and are held Tuesday mornings (with the exception of session 1 and 6 being Mondays) at 10:00 AM either inside the all-purpose room at the school, the gymnasium, or outside near the spray park.
- All program registrations are done in person on a first-come, first paid basis. No mail/phone in registrations will be accepted.
- If paying by check, all checks must be made to the order of the CITY OF CHICOPEE with a telephone # on the check & OPEE Summer Adventures listed in the memo.
All returned checks will be assessed a $25 service fee
- A 50% deposit of the total balance is due at the time of registration. All sessions must be PAID IN FULL by Friday, May 26. Failure to pay in full by this date will result in the application being removed from the program.
- Once the program begins and a cancellation occurs due to sickness/injury (with doctors note) a full refund will be submitted. All other cancellations from Friday, May 5 and on, other than illness/sickness will result, in a $25 cancellation fee (per session).
Important Parent Information
- In addition to filling out the 2017 registration form at the office, parents are required to turn in a completed Chicopee Parks Dept. medical or similar doctor's form prior to the child's starting of the program.
- Falsification of information (i.e age/date of birth, residency) on the registration form will result in immediate dismissal from the program.
- Groups during the summer are formed by age. If you have any requests it MUST be noted on the child's registration form. Please note that these are requests and all of them may not be fulfilled based on our numbers. No changes will be made to groups during the summer. No requests for children that are not of the same age.
- If an emergency arises and you need to contact your child during the program's hours, please contact the Parks Dept. at 594-3481 and we will relay any messages.
- Participants must wear sneakers and socks daily. All children will receive an OPEE T-Shirt which must be worn on the day of field trips. Each child should also bring the following with them to the program: swimsuit, towel, hat, sunscreen and sweater/jacket on appropriate days. Please label all belongings!
6. Lunches, beverages, and snacks will be provided on a daily basis. Refrigeration
facilities are available for those children who prefer to bring their own lunch and/or
7. Please ensure that your child does not bring valuables to the program i.e toys,
money, radios, cell phones, game systems or other personal items.
8. Pictures or videos taken while at OPEE Summer Adventures may be used for
future brochures, slide shows, and/or newspaper publicity unless advised otherwise.
For further information on the program please contact Dan Woodill,
Recreation Supervisor, at 594-3481, extension 105.
-T-Shirts are in and can be picked up at the office