Water Pollution Control
Duties & Responsibilities
The mission of the Water Pollution Control Facility is to protect the rivers and streams that are in or near the City of Chicopee. The department does this by:
- Maintaining the sewer and drain systems
- Maintaining the flood control system
- Monitoring industrial waste water
- Storm water pollution prevention
- Treating the collected sewage
Without access to a sustainable water supply, our community is at risk. Service disruptions for failing or inadequate wastewater infrastructure directly impacts medical facilities, schools, daycares, and firehouses, just to mention a few. Nearly every aspect of our lives is connected to water. Without clean water services, our lives would stop.
In 2018, Water Pollution Control staff completed the following work:
- Boulder Catcher Cleanings: 22 @ 5 locations
- Siphon Cleaning and Maintenance: 745 linear feet @ 10 locations
- Catch Basin Cleanings: 692 on 143 streets
- Sewer Main Cleanings: 68,889 linear feet @ 396 locations
- Closed Circuit T.V. Inspections: 25,252 liner feet @ 67 locations
- Sewer Mains Root Cut: 31,034 linear feet on 175 streets
- Drainage Area Maintenance: 11,713 linear feet cleaned and inspected @ 375 locations
- Dye Tested Locations: 12 on 10 streets
- Labeled Storm Drains (Catch Basins): 294 on 49 streets
- Interceptor Inspections: 183 manholes @ 9 Locations, plus easement clearing
- Pump Station Cleanings: 15 @ 9 locations
- Drainage area T.V. inspected: 4,310 linear feet at 21 locations
Become informed on the many issues related to Water Pollution Control that affect you as citizens of Chicopee...
- Much of the wastewater infrastructure in the United States- more than 700,000 miles of pipes- is at a crisis point. By investing in the system, we are helping to maintain our quality of life and protecting our community from public health and environmental concerns.
- Your water/wastewater bill supports the ongoing and essential cycle between safe drinking water and wastewater treatment. Your neighbors working in the public utilities sector ensure those services work effectively and in unison to protect your community, your environment, and your quality of life!
- Join your wastewater utility in being a part of the solution. Together, we can ensure clean, safe water is accessible to every community in Chicopee.