- Please use 35-gallon maximum rubbish barrels for trash or yard waste and keep each type of waste separate from each other by at least 3 feet when putting out curbside for collection. In late March or early April, each residence will receive one City-provided 35-gallon black trash cart on wheels. These are required to be used starting in May. If necessary, excess trash must be put in yellow "overflow" bags purchased at local stores (list to be published here soon) and placed curbside next to your black trash cart.
- All household trash brought to the landfill beginning May 1st must be bagged in the yellow "overflow" bags. Loose trash or regular plastic bags containing trash will not be accepted.
- Leave covers off 35-gallon regular barrels of yard waste placed at the curb for city crews to pick up.
- All items must be out for pickup by 7 a.m. and accessible for workers, not in snow banks or behind parked vehicles, fences, or guardrails.
- City-provided green recycling carts on wheels must be used for recycling. Overflow recycling can be brought to the landfill, but only cardboard boxes folded neatly in a whole cardboard box can be left outside your full green recycling cart for pickup.
- Bulk waste items including all kinds of appliances/white goods, tires, computers and electronics, or any type of hazardous waste cannot and will not be picked up curbside in accordance with State DEP regulations. Please refer to Landfill Information for bulk waste disposal options.
- Structural wood and scrap metal are banned from landfills throughout Massachusetts. These materials cannot be picked up curbside by Chicopee Sanitation trucks. Self-haul to drop-off area at the landfill.
- Please donate clothes (any condition OK except paint or grease soaked material) to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, or to various drop-off boxes located throughout the City.
- Medical waste, including needles, lancets, and syringes, are prohibited from being placed in the trash. Contact your health care provider for options on how to dispose of these materials.