City Clerk's Serves You as......
Chief Election Official
Chief Election Official
- Oversees polling places, election officers, and the general conduct of all elections.
- Direct preparation of ballots, polling places, and voting equipment, administers campaign finance laws.
- Supervises absentee balloting and prepares, records, and reports official election results to the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth.
- Records and certifies all official actions of the city, including meeting legislation and appropriations, Planning and Zoning Board decisions, signing all notes for borrowing and keeper of the City Seal.
- Records state tax liens
Registrar of Vital Statistics
- Registers all vital events occurring within the community, and those events occurring elsewhere, to local residents.
- Records and preserves original birth, marriage and death records, providing the basis for the Commonwealth's Central Vital Registration System.
Public Records Officer
- Administers the oath of office to all elected and appointed members of local committees and board and ensures that all elected and appointed officials are informed in writing of the State's Open Meeting and Conflict of Interest Laws. Posts meetings of all government bodies.
- Provides access to public records in compliance with State Public Records Law and corresponding regulations.
- Provides certified copies of vital records and conducts or assists with genealogical research for members of the public, and is responsible for maintenance, disposition, and preservation of municipal archival records and materials.
- Maintains records of adopted municipal codes, local bylaws, oaths of office, resignations and appointments, petitions, publications, budgets, meeting minutes and financial statements.
- Issues state licenses and permits: including marriage licenses, and permits for raffles and bazaars. Issues local licenses, permits and certificates as mandated by statute or bylaw, which includes business certificates, dog licenses and fuel storage permits.
Public Information Officer
- Responds to inquiries from the general public, frequently serving as facilitator with departments, providing knowledge and assistance in a fair and impartial manner to all.
- Often considered the core of local government, the City Clerk's office serves as the central information point for local residents and citizens at large